To provide a community of support for people in the criminal justice system and their families, especially upon reentry into mainstream society.
The formerly incarcerated in the District of Columbia will leave prison with a network of support that ensures their successful reentry into society and reduces the rate of recidivism.
- To offer opportunities for spiritual enrichment and inspiration for the formerly incarcerated
- To educate Church members to interact compassionately with Returning Citizens to help restore their humanity and self- esteem, which may have been lost in the punitive justice system
- To educate Church members to facilitate group activities to provide guidance and support for Returning Citizens
- To develop a network of support for Returning Citizens upon reentry into society
- To conduct job readiness training for Returning Citizens
- To provide resources for employment for Returning Citizens
- To establish regular reading sessions that provide positive feedback to writers who are incarcerated
- To work towards reform of the criminal justice system through education and advocacy
- To partner with other organizations that seek to address the needs of those in the criminal justice system and their families
Hebrews 13:3 (NRSV)
Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.